If you block someone on Instagram will they know?
If you block someone on Instagram will they know?
Have you ever blocked someone on Instagram and wondered if they will know? There might be many things you need to consider before blocking someone on Instagram. Read this blog to block someone on Instagram without them knowing.
Since launched in 2010, Instagram has become one of the most popular social media platforms, with more than a billion users till 2021 with a great user experience. But like any other social media platform, Instagram is vulnerable to trolls and bullies.
There could be several reasons why you would need to block someone on Instagram, be it your ex, some spam accounts annoying you, someone posting inappropriate posts or an unhealthy friendship on social media. And when the time comes to block a user, there might be questions striking your mind like if you block someone on Instagram, will they get to know, and so on.
Let’s take a closer look and see whether someone will know or not if you block them on Instagram.
How will someone not know if I block them on Instagram?
For any reason, you might have blocked someone on Instagram. And if you are worried that someone will know if you block them on Instagram, then here are some reasons why they won’t know:
No notification is sent to the blocked user
Once you block a person on Instagram, Instagram won’t notify them they have been blocked. If your account is public and the blocked user tries to access your account, they won’t see any posts. However, they won’t get any signs or alerts that they have been blocked. So, if you block someone on Instagram, the blocked person won’t know about it.
Your profile will still be visible
After you have blocked a person on Instagram, the blocked person can still visit your profile through public posts or friend’s posts.
However, they can’t see your DP, posts, stories, or highlights, which might indicate that you have deleted all your posts and highlights and won’t know if you have blocked them.
They can still send you direct messages
The blocked user can still send you direct messages after being blocked. And, you won’t be able to receive any direct messages from them. So, the person won’t realize they have been blocked.
How will someone know if I block them on Instagram?
If you block someone on Instagram, then they will know that you’ve blocked them for these reasons:
Your account will not appear in the search list
A blocked user can’t find your account in the search list if you’ve blocked them. It might indicate a sign that you’ve blocked them. Ultimately, they could well check other evidence to be sure if they’ve been blocked.
Likes, Comments, and Notifications will get disappeared
If someone has liked or commented on your posts and you’ve replied or liked their comment, then usually, Instagram gives a notification to other users. But blocking on Instagram will remove all the notifications along with the likes and comments. Unblocking someone on Instagram won’t bring back the likes and comments.
They will be removed as a follower
Once you block someone on Instagram, they will be automatically removed as a follower. So when they search your account on their follower or following list, they won’t be able to see your account. In that case, they could determine that they have been blocked.
Your likes and comments will be visible in public or mutual friend’s posts
If the blocked user has followed the same public page or mutual friend you follow on Instagram, your likes and comments can be visible to the person. But when they don’t find your account on the search list or your account appears as an Instagram User, they could know that you have blocked them.
Also, read: How to know if someone blocked you on Snapchat?
What happens when you block someone on Instagram?
Let’s discuss what happens when you block someone on your Instagram account.
- Though the message threads with the person you blocked remain in the direct chat inbox, you can’t send them new messages.
- If you and the blocked person are on the same group chat, you will get a dialog box asking if you still want to remain in that group or wish to leave. Here, if you choose to stay in that group, you both can definitely see each other text messages.
- Also, if the blocked person sends you a direct text message, it wouldn’t appear on Direct Inbox. If you unblock them later, then also you wouldn’t receive those texts.
- But if the person whom you blocked on Instagram has several Insta and Facebook accounts, you have to block them individually.
- If your Facebook account isn’t set up in the Account Center, the blocked person can still call and message you on your Facebook account. To restrict them from doing so, you have to block them from your Facebook account.
Likes and Comments
Obviously, after you block them from your account, the likes and comments they do on your post will get removed. But the thing is that unblocking them in the future will not restore previous likes and comments.
If I block someone on Instagram can they see my comments on mutual friends?
Yes, the people you blocked can see the Like and comments you do on any public account or on those accounts they follow.
Mentions and tags
- The person you blocked can’t tag and mention your username anywhere.
- Also, once you block someone and change your username, they can’t tag and mention you unless they know your new username.
You can unblock them anytime when you want.
What to do if someone blocks you on Instagram?
You have known what happens if you block someone on Instagram. But what about if someone blocks you on Instagram? How do you see their Instagram feeds and messages? The answer: MobileSpy.
MobileSpy is a smartphone spying app that, when installed on someone’s smartphone lets you see their actions on their smartphone including different social media like Instagram. So, go and Register your MobileSpy account and start seeing Instagram feeds and messages of someone who has blocked you.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to block someone on Instagram?
There are various ways to block someone on Instagram. Steps to block someone on Instagram
- Open the Instagram application from your device.
- Click on the search bar and type the person’s name you want to block. And Go to his profile.
- Click on the three horizontal dots line (for iOS users)/ vertical dots line (for Android users), which is at the top right part of the screen.
- You will see the different options there. But since you want to block them, press on the option Block. And you will get two options when you wish to block someone from your Instagram account.
- Block the present account and the new account they may create in the future.
- Block their current account.
Confirm it by pressing Block again.
Once you choose any of those options, they won’t be able to text you on your Insta account. However, if you don’t want to block them, you can remove them as a follower.
How to unblock someone on Instagram?
Follow the given steps to unblock someone from your Instagram account through Settings.
- Open your Instagram account.
- In the bottom right of the screen, there is your profile picture. Click on it to go to your profile.
- Click on the three horizontal lines which are on the top right of the screen.
- Now click on the gear icon.
- Click Privacy.
- Click Blocked Accounts.
- Click on Unblock option to the right of their name.
- Click on Unblock again to confirm it.
Does Instagram notify you when you block someone?
The answer is a big No. Unlike comments, likes on posts, and direct messages, Instagram doesn’t send notifications when you block someone. That means they won’t receive a notification alert mentioning you blocked them.
What is the difference between restrict and block someone on Instagram?
Blocking someone permanently makes them unable to visit any kinds of contents, comments, messages and posts from your accounts and vice versa. When you restrict account, their comments and messages will only be visible to them, and they won’t be able to see when you’re online or if you’ve read their direct messages, restricts tags and comments. They will still be able to see your profile posts or story but avoids unwanted interactions.
You should now understand whether they will know if you block someone on Instagram. So you can consider all the factors analyzing what happens when you block someone on Instagram before actually blocking them.
There are also many alternatives if you want to stay away from some people on Instagram. You can mute their posts and direct messages. you can also hide your stories, share them with close friends, unfollow them and remove them as followers. So, choose the one that works best for you to enjoy Instagram more peacefully.